Welcome back to Random Raven, the column that aspires to be your complete, entertainment itinerary on a month-to-month basis.
Marching into…well, March, the Raven doesn’t need the “luck o’ the Irish” to find a treasure trove of delectable edibles and ales right in his own backyard.
For example, on Saturday, March 14, our friends to the South in Windsor are serving up a “Taste of the Town” at Loomis Chaffee’s dining hall from 6:30-9:30 p.m.
Promising a wide variety of appetizers and main dish samplings donated by Windsor’s unique restaurants which include: Bart’s Drive In Restaurant, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chili’s Bar and Grill, Dom’s Broad Street Eatery, Geissler’s Supermarket, Jim’s Pizza, Subway, Maple Craft Foods, Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt, One Song Biscotti, Sweet Tooth, The Bean@226, Union Street Tavern, Windsor High School Culinary Class, and Zocco’s Italian and Mexican, this Taste proves a complete sensory assault, too – complemented by live entertainment, beer and wine.
Tickets are $30 in advance or $35 at the door.
In a similar act of act of brew-based benevolence, the Somers Education Foundation is hosting the forth, annual installment of one of the organization’s chief fundraisers, “Brewfest,” at the Pleasant View Golf Center, 352 South Road (Rt 83), in Somers on Saturday, March 28 from 7-10 p.m.
Among the local notables powering the event with Powder Hollow, Back East, Problem Solved and more, Stafford Cidery, Joannas, Copper House Tavern, Bond 124, Basils, Lulu’s and the Italian Villa.
Advance tickets are now available on the website (www.sefonline.org) or through any SEF Board Member and cost $45.
The Somers Education Foundation has played a vital role in supporting the Somers School System with cutting edge projects not normally funded from within the Education Department’s annual operating budget. In just 15 years, SEF has awarded $498,000 since inception for innovative projects and professional development and grown its endowment to $653,537.
Last but not least, ample opportunities to pull St. Patty’s Day Shenanigans in the area as well. They include:
• Irish Whiskey Dinner – Center Square Grill, East Longmeadow March 9. Five course meal boasting Irish smoked Salmon, Braised Guiness beef stew, baners and more each paired with the perfect whiskey.
• MGM Springfield – March 14. “Kegs and Eggs” at Tap Sports Bar starting at 8 a.m., food trucks at Armory Square beginning at 11 a.m., live music with Rebels of the Scared Heart and The Kings and two, back-to-back stand-up appearances with Sean Donnelly at the Roar! Comedy Club.
• Corned Beef Dinner -Stafford Fish & Game Club March 14 at 4 p.m. $15 donation, cash bar.
• Starting Gate – March 14 An Irish Celebration feature traditional Irish fare and the music of Deirdre Reilly starting at 6 p.m. $65. 413-566-5158.
• Bond 124, Somers – March 17 “Kegs and Eggs” brunch from 8 a.m. -noon, live music throughout the day and of course, green beer.